Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bugs.

Sometimes I feel like I have nothing interesting to write about.
This weekend I played in a wheelchair basketball tournament with my coworkers. It was a fundraiser to support wheelchair sports. It was really difficult, but a LOT of fun.



And now for---Tuesday morning random thoughts...

We have no Easter decor.

I made muffins.

I really need to go to the Old State Pen for a school assignment that I have procrastinated. (But it's raining...)

Ammon is doing homework.

Liz Perry (my best friend) passed through Boise yesterday and was able to come by our place and visit. :)

I have two tests this week.

Ammon won't let me get a baby chick.

I am starting my garden very soon. (Like, this weekend if it isn't raining)

Our sun room is STILL full of junk. We have been saying we'll clean it since January.

I love muffins.

I entered to win a trip to London. Hahaha.

The muffins are done!!!

We go to my parents' house on Tuesday evenings. I enjoy that.

Ammon has three swords, a blow dart gun, throwing stars, and other such weapons. He gets his own weapon cupboard.

We're out of ice cream.

Last night we watched a movie. Sometimes really cool movies are ruined unnecessarily by crap.

I should clean the kitchen.

OH that reminds me... I have a story of the worst experience of my married life (and in the top ten of my entire life). It all begins with noodles:

I was boiling some noodles last Sunday for dinner when I noticed some brown flecks in the water. I spooned one out and much to my dismay...a bug. They were, in fact, weevil larvae. I had already been feeling nauseous, and this threw me over the edge. Everything went downhill from there. After getting myself together (took a couple hours) I finally had the nerve to check out the pantry. Bummer, there were more. Ammon and I were both completely disgusted and freaked out. I researched a bit on how to exterminate. We decided it would be a better project for Monday and went to bed completely uneasy, skin crawling. After work on Monday, I put on my game face, said a prayer, put on my headlight, and got to work. Awful. Awful. Awful. Yes, the weevils had traveled to every shelf in the pantry. I believe they originated from a big box of oatmeal that Ammon had brought from his old house because that is where I found the most larvae. I removed EVERYTHING from the pantry, washed EVERYTHING with bleach, threw anything away that I wasn't sure about, and put everything else in the freezer for 4 days. I vacummed every corner of the pantry
(Oh, by the way, we have a huge pantry. I LOVED it before this experience). I sprayed bleach all over and wiped everything down.
Anyway, we are weevil free. At least we had better be because I can't deal with that again. Here is what I recommend...
-Don't leave anything unopened in your pantry (especially grains).
-Put bay leaves throughout your pantry and in containers of flour, rice, and sugar.
-Don't put anything in your pantry that has been sitting in the garage or outside.
-If you see a beetle or a larvae anywhere in your food or pantry, don't be lax about it. FREAK OUT.
Needless to say, we ate out all week. I finally cooked again the following Sunday. Weevils are expensive.

That's all. Now, go clean your pantry! :)

3 comments:

Wilkes Mission said...

Why oh why did I read about your pantry experience just before bedtime? Ugh...I am very concerned because I think I have pancake mix, white rice, and oatmeal....and maybe some lions and tigers and bears...oh my! I will not go check right now...I will NOT go check right now...I will NOT go check right now...after all, tomorrow is another day! Sigh! Love you and your sweet Ammon! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

one word: Clearplay! I love me some clearplay :)

ugh, and I'm putting bay leaves on the grocery list Right Now! My mom used to use them, I guess she knew what she was doing. Does Ammon remember the bay leaf pancakes our dad made for us because he didn't know you were supposed to take the bay leafs OUT of the flour before baking? good times

Krista said...

I laughed out loud at the baby chick comment. How could Ammon be so heartless?