Thursday, July 21, 2011

Long overdue garden update & BYS

I must admit that although my garden has boomed over the last few weeks, I have been too ashamed to share because of the boom of weeds that has accompanied. Instead of going out and weeding every few days, I let it get completely out of control. Today was my day off and I finally went out there and fought back. Ammon, the sweet husband that he is, was happily by my side helping. Now I can show pictures of how excitingly big everything has grown!

We got lots of delicious peas, but not enough. Next year I will plants 3X as many!

Hilariously weedy jungle....

 The lovely Cantaloupe plant...

Lettuce! It's ready to be eaten. If only I liked salad...

My green onions didn't do so well. I only have three stalks coming up. Oh well...

 Here is the enormous Zucchini plant. Have I ever told you about the first time I planted Zucchini? I planted ten seeds...In a single rubbermaid bin...How was I suppose to know how monstrous they are? Haha. FYI, one single zucchini seed will grow to this beastly size and will yield anywhere from 10 to 20 zukes. I can't wait for Zucchini bread!

 The corn is in the back. There are three tomato plants (which all now have blossoms and each has at least one little green tomater!). The cantaloupe is on the right.
So there you have it-- my garden. I already have some big plans for next year's garden and I'm really excited! If you need tomatoes or zuke, you know who to call. I'm pretty sure we are going to have an abundance. :)

In other news...
Ammon and I had an incredible weekend. We were counselors for the Boise Youth Spectacular. Our 16 kids were incredible! Our group (JOB!!!) clicked so well and we couldn't have been happier with the experience. There were some incredible speakers, hilarious comedians, great musicians, and so much fun to be had. We are so grateful to have had such an amazing experience, and we can't wait to be counselors again next year!

We love you JOB!

4 comments:

Tamra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
valerie said...

ello tameriono. this is my attempt to see if this will even post to your fantastically amazing blog :)

valerie said...

woohoo! I win! :) So how did you fix it so I can help my other friends?!

awesome garden love. i wish I was nice enough to share my plentiful (sp??) pea stash with you, but not so much. I LOVE LOVE peas with a passion, and Justin FINALLY planted the right ones this year (thx to me madre buying them for us! haha)
I should have taken a photo of them, I may still with the next batch that is getting plump enough to pick.....mmmmmmm peas. :)

Well I love that you loved BYS, I bet you and Ammon were the coolest couple counselors (say that 10 times fast!)

Ok, so this comment is rather large, but hey I was excited that I actually got to leave a comment again.....its been awhile :)

Cindy Barnes said...

I am a bit jealous of your garden..weeds and all! I miss having one and being able to have fresh peas!! The deer eat EVERYTHING up here so I have not had a garden in like 6 years! Good job guys! I can see your green thunb from here!